BlogCatalog

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Celebration Penalties in the NFL

"Hey, you, in the endzone. Yes, you dancing like one of those rappers in those rap videos. Haven't you thought about how that could hurt the feelings of the players on the other team? and Mr. Desean Jackson, you think you can just fall into the endzone like that? Back in the good ole days when I watched listened to the NFL games on the radio, I never saw Jim Brown run into the endzone and do a silly dance. No, I imagine he handed the ball right to the referee. The radio guy never said otherwise. He never got excited about playing football. He simply did his job. I'm sick of these young whippersnappers with their cell phones and there laptops going to play football, scoring touchdowns, and then celebrating! Do your job!"

Does anyone still think like this? I do not understand why the NFL will not embrace celebrating as a part of the game. You see other independent media entities like ESPN showing elaborate celebrations all the time on their highlights. Why? because there are people with a sense of humor that enjoy watching creative celebrations. While its not necessary to the game, it enhances it. I want to see each players personality. It makes me and every consumer of the NFL feel closer to the players. For every 45 year old business man whose only interest in the game is the 200 dollars he put on the game, there are many more people that watch the game for its entertainment value.

So what did I do today when I saw DeSean Jackson score a 91 yard touchdown capped off by an exaggerated fall into the endzone? I laughed. I laughed because it was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX48YaDsk58 (DeSean Jackson Play)

I can understand the personal fouls for players fighting or pushing and shoving each other. As much as I would like to see Mike Vick throw down with DeMarcus Ware after one play like a couple of hockey players, I understand the fundamental need to keep the game rid of players fighting. No need to have Tom Brady out for the year with a broken face because a New York Jet defensive lineman decided to start a fight with him. So while the NFL can't be the NHL, nor should it want to be, it can embrace the product that we want to see.

Celebrations are fun. When Randy Moss mimed pulling his pants down in the playoffs against the Packers, what did you do when you saw it? you laughed. We, the consumers, determine how successful the NFL is. I think the NFL would reach more young demographics and become an even more dominant brand of sports if they became more lenient on the celebration 'problem.' It's supposed to be entertainment, remember?

1 comment:

  1. Clearly you never saw the movie "more than a game" about Lebron, cause then you would know sports aren't entertainment, they're "more than a game". Also, everything should try and be like the NHL cause they have a lot of bas asses (see: Burish, Adam). You use the term "we" very liberally. This is your first ever blog post in which you sight no facts and say nothing but your own personal opinion, and no point do I think you establish yourself as an authority on the subject and give yourself the right to speak for the general viewer. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. And who did you quote up top? Probably should be cited.

    ReplyDelete